Saturday, November 21, 2009

Elizabeth Reed Hudlow, 1916-2009

From Josie Reed*:
The last of the grandchildren of Tully Washington Reed (1856-1910) and Katie Thompson (1860-1929) died at the age of 93 on Saturday, November 7, 2009, in Mt. Airy, Maryland. 

Elizabeth Anita Reed Hudlow was born May 11, 1916, a daughter of Norman McCloud Reed (1886-1955) and Florence Heitzman Reed (1892-1960). She spent her early childhood years in Easton, Pennsylvania, then moved with her family to the Washington, DC, area.  She lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC the rest of her life.

About the same age, she and my father Tully Reed, her first cousin, were always close over the years, and we saw her and Bob almost as often as my aunts and uncles. (Right:  L. Tully Reed, Josie's father, and Elizabeth Reed about 1945)

Liz had a heart of gold. And despite more times of great sadness in her life than most of us could bear, she was (almost) always full of fun. To quote my 2nd cousin Kay Hoyle, her niece, "Heaven will never be the same!"    

Her remains were interred at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Silver Spring, Maryland, near her beloved husband Robert Milton Hudlow (1924-2007) and daughter Lois Hudlow (1959-1983).  (Photo:  Elizabeth, Lois, and Bob Hudlow in Boone, NC, in 1974)

One of the things I always wanted to ask her, but never did, was how her parents met. How DID a young man from Barnwell County, South Carolina, wind up with a girl from Pennsylvania?



*Josephine "Josie" Reed is my fifth cousin who lives in Ontario, Canada.   I was very fortunate to meet her online in March 2008.  Since then I've come to count on her excellent research and judgment.  Thank you once again, Josie, for all your help!  
Click here to see Josie's line from Samuel.  (While you're there, think about adding yours.)

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I am not related to the Reed family, but I came across this blog while googling one of my best friends, Lois Hudlow. When I saw this, I just had to comment on it. I grew up with her on West Park Drive in Hyattsville, where we remained close friends until she died so tragically. I will always miss her and can't wait to see her and her parents one day again in Heaven. I knew her parents, Liz and Bob well. they loved Lois with all their heart. And Kay Hoyle described Liz exactly how I remember her (although I never saw her again after Lois died). I think because I felt so bad and I was afraid I would remind them too much of Lois, I decided to stay away. I wish I hadn't now. I absolutely loved seeing this picture of the three of them together. If you have more pictures of Lois I would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete